Are You Ready For Hurricane Season?
Hurricane season begins on Thursday, June 1st 2017 and ends six months later on November 30, 2017…so the big question is are you ready? Contact our office today to schedule your In Home Consultation with one of our experienced representatives. We’ll have you storm ready in no time!
Living on the Texas Gulf Coast certainly has it’s perks: the beaches, long summer days, tropical climate, sunsets over the seashore…I mean what’s not to love right? And then Hurricane season comes roaring in. Since 1980, 55 hurricanes have at least brushed the Texas coast and when August winds down Houston heads into peak hurricane season. While there isn’t anything at all we can do to stop these forces of nature, we can certainly prepare ourselves and homes.
At Renaissance Windows & Doors we offer some of the top names in High Impact Windows and Doors, designed specifically to withstand the elements.
What Are Hurricane Proof Windows? What Do They Do?
Most high impact windows these days use some sort of laminated glass, a material that the automotive industry has been using for quite some time now. Laminated glass is a type of safety glass that holds together when impacted with an object. In the event of breaking, it is held in place by an interlayer, typically of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) or ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA), between its two or more layers of glass. The interlayer keeps the layers of glass bonded even when broken, and its high strength prevents the glass from breaking up into large sharp pieces. This produces a characteristic “spider web” cracking pattern when the impact is not enough to completely pierce the glass.
The strength and other properties of laminated glass can be tailored to meet specific needs. Also, depending on the location, size of the panels, and design pressures, the interlayer used in the laminate can be of different thicknesses or types.
The benefits of High Impact/Hurricane windows and doors exceeds just those homes located in areas prone to hurricanes. Impact windows increase safety, noise reduction, and intrusion resistance. Burglars run once they try to smash one of these windows and realize that it is not going anywhere. Parents are not nervous when their small children play around a large picture window. And homeowners marvel just how much of the outside world’s noise no longer enters into the home. Impact windows are a great way to help reduce damage from severe thunderstorms that can have damaging wind. These types of storms can hit anywhere at any time. There is no replacing the peace of mind that a homeowner with impact windows goes to bed with.
Sierra Pacific FeelSafe High Impact Products
FeelSafe windows and patio doors are engineered inside and out to withstand the rigors of hurricane-force winds, pounding rain, wind-borne debris and rapid pressure changes that could implode your home or literally blow off the roof.
For moderate climates, our non-insulated, shatter-resistant FeelSafe glass provides the utmost security—whether your concern is severe storms or intruders.
It’s available with or without a low-E coating. For superior control of solar heat gain, choose gray or bronze tinting.
- High-strength, shatter-resistant, laminated glass.
- Structural sealants throughout.
- Exterior clad with .050” extruded aluminum.
- Natural pine interior standard. Prime, paint or stain optional.
- Alternate wood species optional.
- CoreGuard wood treatment.
- Standard structural nailing fin for superior installation, reduced racking problems.
- Upgraded, extra security sash angle brackets standard.
- Additional lock/keeper and snubber on operators for extra strength.
- Longer, larger stainless steel screws in all hardware attachment points.
- Basic jamb width 4-9/16”.
- Available with FeelSafe laminated or laminated Low-E glass (insulated or non-insulated).
- Perimeter weatherstrip on top of sash and frame.
- Positive locking mechanism draws sash tightly against weatherstrip.
- Bulb primary weatherstripping on sash.
- Corrosion-resistant 300 series stainless steel gear operator and dual arms.
- Encore folding handle with geared operator.
- Contemporary DLX single lever sash lock.
- Concealed sliding nylon shoe hinges applied directly to sash for clean exterior.
- Adjustable stainless steel hinge track located for maximum support.
Decorative glazing: Bronze, gray, white.
Grilles: Removable wood grilles or Hurd simulated divided lite. Grilles in airspace available only on units with insulated glass.
Screens: Aluminum frame with charcoal color fiberglass cloth standard, aluminum mesh optional.
Screen frame options: goldtone, white, bronze, champagne, oil-rubbed bronze, brushed chrome, bright brass, coppertone, antique brass and matching wood species.
Hardware: Encore folding handle standard in 11 designer finishes.
Other options: Structural nailing fin standard. Extruded aluminum drip cap. Exterior aluminum brickmould applied. Standard extension jambs available up to 8-1/8”. Non-standard sizing to 1/16” available.
Showcase 143 Series High Impact Products
Showcase 143 Series offers fusion-welded frames and sashes, sloped sill, constant force balance system, integral lift rail, Cardinal double strength glass, heavy duty weather stripping, tilt-in sash, and reinforced meeting rail.
Showcase is a leading manufacturer of vinyl hurricane impact windows and doors for the Gulf Coast, which is offered in a wide range of sizes, configurations and styles. This series focuses on a low solar heat gain coefficient in our windows to provide premium energy efficiency and savings in the warm climate of the Gulf Coast.